What is this medicine?
AMIFOSTINE (am i FOS teen) is a protective medicine. It is used to prevent or lessen the kidney damage that can be caused by cisplatin chemotherapy. It is also used to prevent some side effects caused by radiation therapy to the head or neck.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- heart disease
- history of stroke or TIAs
- irregular heartbeat
- low blood pressure
- low levels of calcium in the blood
- taking medicine for high blood pressure
- an unusual or allergic reaction to amifostine, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?
This medicine is for infusion into a vein. It is given by a health care professional in a hospital or clinic setting.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What if I miss a dose?
This does not apply.
What may interact with this medicine?
- medicines for blood pressure
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Your condition will be monitored carefully while you are receiving this medicine. Visit your doctor as directed.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- chest pain or tightness
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
- fever, chills
- low blood pressure
- nausea, vomiting
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
- trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
Where should I keep my medicine?
This drug is given in a hospital or clinic and will not be stored at home.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children,
never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.