What is this medicine?
SODIUM BICARBONATE (SOE dee um; bye KAR bon ate) is used to create gas in the stomach for some contrast studies of the stomach.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- any problems of the throat, stomach, or intestines like blockage, perforation, or surgery
- low sodium diet
- an unusual or allergic reaction to sodium bicarbonate, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?
This medicine is taken by mouth. It is usually given by a health care professional in a hospital or clinic setting.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. This medicine is not approved for use in children.
What if I miss a dose?
This does not apply; this medicine is not for regular use.
What may interact with this medicine?
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- antibiotics like ciprofloxacin, doxycycline, tetracycline
- aspirin and aspirin-like medicines
- ephedra, Ma Huang
- itraconazole, ketoconazole
- stimulants like amphetamine, dexmethylphenidate, and others
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Your condition will be monitored while you are taking this medicine.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- nausea, vomiting
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- bloating and stomach gas
- increased thirst
- stomach cramps
Where should I keep my medicine?
This drug is given in a hospital or clinic and will not be stored at home.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children,
never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.