What is this medicine?
CALCIUM EDTA (KAL see um) binds with heavy metals in the body. It is used to treat lead poisoning.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- kidney disease or problems passing urine
- liver disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to calcium EDTA, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?
This medicine is for injection into a muscle or a vein. It is given by a health care professional in a hospital or clinic setting.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What if I miss a dose?
This does not apply.
What may interact with this medicine?
- insulin with zinc
- steroid medicines like prednisone or cortisone
- zinc salts
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Your condition will be monitored carefully while you are receiving this medicine. If you do not produce any urine for 12 hours tell your doctor right away.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- cloudy or dark urine
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- fever, chills
- increased thirst
- low blood pressure
- numb, tingling pain
- trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
- unusually tired or weak
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- aches and pains
- loss of appetite
- nausea, vomiting
- pain at site where injected
- runny nose, sneezing
- watery eyes
Where should I keep my medicine?
This drug is given in a hospital or clinic and will not be stored at home.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children,
never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.