What is this medicine?
PHOSPHORUS SALTS (FOS fer uhs sawlts) are used to increase the amount of phosphorus in the body. It is used to treat or prevent low phosphate levels in the body.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- Addison's disease
- heart disease
- high levels of phosphate or potassium in the blood
- kidney disease or stones
- low levels of calcium in the blood
- an unusual or allergic reaction to phosphorus salts, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?
This medicine is for infusion into a vein. It is given by a health care professional in a hospital or clinic setting.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What if I miss a dose?
This does not apply.
What may interact with this medicine?
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- medicines called ACE inhibitors like captopril, enalapril, lisinopril
- potassium supplements
- vitamin D supplements
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Your condition will be monitored carefully while you are receiving this medicine.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
- heavy feeling in legs
- increased thirst
- low blood pressure
- muscle cramps
- swelling of feet or lower legs
- tingling, pain, or numbness in the hands or feet
- trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
- unusually weak or tired
- weight gain
Where should I keep my medicine?
This drug is given in a hospital or clinic and will not be stored at home.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children,
never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.