Diseases & Conditions A - Z
powered by Talix

Osteoporosis Doctors

Primary Care Physician

If you have any risk factors of osteoporosis or have experienced a fracture, you should make an appointment with your primary healthcare provider, such as an internist or family medicine practitioner.

If your primary care provider determines that you do in fact have osteoporosis, he or she will help you develop a plan of care to manage the disease. The plan will most likely include prescription medication and lifestyle changes to help control or slow down bone loss.


An orthopedist (or orthopedic surgeon) is a doctor who specializes in treating the musculoskeletal system—including fractures caused by osteoporosis—by using surgical and nonsurgical methods.


A rheumatologist is a physician who specializes in treating health conditions that affect the joints, bones, tendons, and muscle.


Geriatrician is a doctor who specializes in geriatric medicine—a practice that is focused on helping to prevent and treat health problems in elderly people. Practitioners of geriatric medicine are primary care physicians who are board-certified in internal or family medicine and who received additional training in geriatric medicine.

Content licensed from:

Written by: the Healthline Editorial Team
Medically reviewed : Jennifer Monti, MD, MPH

This feature is for informational purposes only and should not be used to replace the care and information received from your health care provider. Please consult a health care professional with any health concerns you may have.
Symptom Search
Enter your symptoms in our Symptom Checker to find out possible causes of your symptoms. Go.
Drug Interaction Checker
Enter any list of prescription drugs and see how they interact with each other and with other substances. Go.
Pill Identifier
Enter its color and shape information, and this tool helps you identify it. Go.
Drugs A-Z
Find information on drug interactions, side effects, and more. Go.